Event / Project background:
TT Mayhem is the public entertainment show provided by the Isle of Man government for crowds visiting and attending the world-famous Isle of Man TT races. The TT Mayhem shows involve petrol based stunt acts, live music and other entertainment taking place over a one week period.
2018, was the sixth consecutive year that Gorilla had been chosen to produce the event by the Isle of Man government. From 2013 to 2015 the show was a promenade based show, in 2016 TT Mayhem became a roadshow, touring a number of venues around the island. The challenge faced was to create a show that could navigate the island’s roads and lanes at one of the busiest times in the island’s calendar.
GORILLA role summary:
Full show conceptualisation and design, production, temporary structures for MTB / FMX / Flatland BMX, event management and logistics of the TT Mayhem Touring Show.
GORILLA role detail:
- Show conceptualisation and creation project / event management and production
- Site mapping and aerial visuals
- Athlete/talent selection and booking
- Logistics and transport
- On-site build:
- Temporary structures
- Crowd safety barriers
- Sub-contractor sourcing and management
- Working with Emergency Team – Police, Fire, Ambulance services
- Organisation of daily road closures/movement of oversize stunt team display vehicles
- Social media promotion
- Health and Safety – planning, documentation and risk assessment.
- 2 months planning, design and budgeting period.
- 7 show days with either 1 or 2 shows per day between 11am and 5pm
- 4 hour setup and 3-hour de-rig for each show.
Result / Outcome: An annual series of highly successful shows around the island, with the touring format working well. All the shows ran smoothly, to time and were received well. The touring show performed to more people than the static shows of previous years. Taking the show out to the audience ensured that it coincided with a number of special days at the TT and we were able to reach a greater target audience than previously. Daily updating of Social Media with pictures and videos from each show worked well, proved popular and reaches over 150,000 users.
–Trevor Hussey, Head of Motorsport for the Isle of Man Government’s Departments
of Economic Development